Monday, March 22, 2010

I fell in love online once...

MJ... I met her in an MMO... Star Wars Galaxies. She was actually the friend (both real life and in game) of a woman I had a crush on. The two of them were always together and before long, the three of us were playing 5 or six hours a night... five or six days a week. The game was so much fun back then.

Socially, I am pretty shy, especially around new people, so I didn't talk much to MJ at first. I thought she was amazing... but way out of my league. She thought I didn't like her because I didn't talk to her much. Being shy usually gets me the "you must be innocent and naive" reaction. It was no different here. I'm a bit of a nerd at heart and that comes out in social situations. Until one day, our mutual friend was late getting into the game and then came on long enough to tell us she couldn't stay on. We went out on our own because neither wanted to offend the other. We got to talking. We discovered we both liked each other... a lot. More and more it was just the two of us. We were both married and came up with our own code to alert each other when our spouse was watching over our shoulder so we could watch what we say. We fell in love.

It was not long at all before she discovered I was not as innocent as I came across. I already knew she wasn't. We lived so far apart and I never got to meet her face to face. Unfortunately, I made a mistake and took a week off from the game and did not contact her. She was hurt by it. Others had hurt her before. We are still friends, but the romance was ended. I still love her. A part of me always will.

No comments:

Post a Comment